Where The Sum Is Sometimes Better Than The Parts

I'm one of those folks who reads cookbooks for fun. Sometimes I don't have the correct ingredients, so I make do. Sometimes it even tastes good. And sometimes, if I'm really lucky, a miracle happens.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

"Moses, Go And Make Thy Salsa"

Have you ever been awake at 3:00 a.m. and suddenly had a great idea for a recipe? I call it my food epiphany, and it takes all my resolve to go back to sleep. Can you imagine one of the biblical prophets receiving a visitation from an archangel and saying to himself, "I sure hope I remember this when I wake up." Some people get angels and burning bushes....I get food. Go figure. Instead of "Moses, go out into the desert." I hear "Theresa put those cranberries in the salsa."
Those "what if" moments catch me at odd times. Banana pancakes are almost always mushy. But what if, instead of putting the bananas in the batter and the pecans on top, I did it the other way around? What if I took that left over sweet potato and put it into muffin batter? I don't have any basil, but what if I used this cilantro instead?
Yeah, that's the ticket. And so it goes. Some are disasters. Most are edible. And once in a while, ooooh..ambrosia.

No comments:

Post a Comment