Where The Sum Is Sometimes Better Than The Parts

I'm one of those folks who reads cookbooks for fun. Sometimes I don't have the correct ingredients, so I make do. Sometimes it even tastes good. And sometimes, if I'm really lucky, a miracle happens.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Banana Nana Fo Fanna

Last week after running errands all day I was pretty tired, so I stopped at Sharon's Pizza and picked up a bake-at-home pizza. Well, it sat out on the counter for two hours, and by the time I put it in the oven, man that yeast was happening! What is better than bread, cheese and veggies?!


Yesterday I wanted to make Ed something special since he was working so hard on the house construction, so I made his favorite cake. Banana Pecan Cranberry Rum cake.

I always use buttermilk when I bake. It gives a nice rise to the cake. Dried cranberries add a little color. Now the thing about bananas.., You know how it is. You buy a bunch of bananas, you eat four of them and then the other two sit on the counter until they get a little...unruly. I just peel them, put two in a ziplock sandwich bag, and put them in the freezer. When I want to make something bananay (is that a word?), I just take them out. At this point they look really awful. They're really brown, mushy and liquidy. Not to fear. Take them out of the bag, liquid and all, mash them up, or use a whisk, and put them in the batter. Besides, considering how much rum goes into the cake, who cares what the bananas looked like?  

No comments:

Post a Comment